About Our Church
First Christian Church was founded in March, 1836, by a group of 22 baptized believers who met in the home of Polly Smith. They drafted a document proclaiming the local body into existence and set apart two Elders of the Congregation, Bushrod W. Henry and John J. Page. The group met for some time in the log courthouse which stood in the town square as well as in the homes of the members.
In 1845 the first church building was erected diagonally across the street from the present structure. In 1861 a new building was begun on the same site which was not finished until 1870 due to the Civil War. Then in 1922 the cornerstone of the present church was laid, and on September 16, 1923, dedication services were held in the new church building.
Sometime in the 1860’s Alexander Campbell, one of the three founders of the Christian Church, gave an address here.
Through the decades, First Christian has remained a faithful church, proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ to the community.
202 South Broadway
Shelbyville, IL 62565